Below is a list of frequently asked questions from organisations wishing to participate in the program.
- What is an event host?
An event host manages and delivers an event in the October Business Month program. In 2016, more than 7,100 people attended over 155 partner events across the Territory.
- What types of events are eligible?
Events designed to provide information, practical skills, networking opportunities to people looking to start, operate or grow a small business are eligible to be included in the October Business Month (OBM) program.
To host an event you must have an Australian Business Number.
The events can be held in various formats such as seminars, networking events, workshops, presentations, forums, information sessions, dinners or webinars. Hosts can apply to run up to three events in the OBM program.
Please note events designed to sell the host’s products or services to attendees are ineligible for inclusion in the OBM program.
- What are the benefits of hosting an event during October Business Month?
There are a number of benefits in becoming an October Business Month (OBM) event host including:
- exposure to a large and targeted audience within the Territory business community create and develop relationships with potential clients and customers
- build your organisation’s profile by aligning your brand with the Northern Territory’s premier business event
- show your support for the Territory business community
- your event(s) will be included in the OBM 2017 printed calendar of events booklet which is circulated to thousands of businesses Territory wide, and
- your event(s) will be included on the OBM 2017 website with direct links for attendees to register for your event(s).
All other marketing and promotion of each event is the responsibility of the event host.
- What are my responsibilities as an event host?
All October Business Month partner event hosts must agree and abide to our terms and conditions.
- How do I become an event host?
Applying to become an event host is a simple process.
To register your interest in hosting an event please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment of the $160 event host fee must be completed via credit card when submitting your event(s).
Please review our full terms and conditions, prior to submitting your registration.
If you require assistance with completing the online form please contact us at email@example.com
- What does it cost to host an event?
A one off payment of the $160 must be completed via credit card when submitting your event(s). You can host up to three events when you register.
- Does the event I organise have to be designed specifically for October Business Month?
No, you can include any relevant business-related events in the October Business Month (OBM) program.
The following are some of the reasons your event may be declined by the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation:
- Your event is of low quality.
- Too many other events on the same topic.
- Proposed date is fully booked in the calendar.
- Proposed date is the same as a keynote event.
- More event information is required.
- You registered an OBM partner event in previous programs and cancelled after the cancellation period.
Note: Events aimed at selling the organiser’s products or services to attendees are strictly prohibited.
Subject to Department of Trade, Business and Innovations’ approval and terms and conditions.
- Can I deliver more than one event during the program?
Yes, you can deliver up to three events. However, it is advisable for new event hosts not to attempt more than one event initially.
- Do I take bookings for my events?
Yes, you are responsible for managing, taking and administering bookings.
October Business Month use Eventbrite to manage their events. You can choose to use Eventbrite at your discretion. Full details can be found on the Eventbrite website
- Can I charge a fee for the event?
Yes, however it is recommended that events are charged at low to no cost in order to draw a wider audience and attract small to medium enterprises to your event(s).
- Can October Business Month provide a speaker for my event?
No. October Business Month cannot endorse or recommend any particular speaker.
- Is there financial assistance for me to organise an event?
No, businesses hosting an event during October Business Month are solely responsible for all costs involved in the delivery of the event.
- Can I organise my own sponsor for my event(s)?
October Business Month (OBM) has its own sponsors. However, you may organise your own sponsors for individual events. Your event sponsors are responsible for sponsoring your event alone and not OBM as a whole.
- How will my events be promoted?
The October Business Month team will promote the program through the 2017 printed calendar of events and online calendar. All other marketing and promotion is the responsibility of the event host.
- What if I need to cancel my event or change event details?
Cancellations: All cancellations must be in writing and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before 30 June 2017to receive a full refund. Cancellations after this date are non-refundable.
If you need to cancel your event or change event details, please contact the October Business Month team so that event listings can be updated.
If you cancel an event, it will be removed from the events calendar on the October Business Month website.
Please note: Events listed in the printed calendar cannot be changed after 30 June 2017.
If event details need to be changed (such as venue or start time), remember to also notify any participants who have already booked to attend.
- Who do I contact for more information about the October Business Month program?
Contact the October Business Month team.